What is Dual Language?
This is a special program that brings together English and Spanish speaking students in a unique opportunity to learn both languages.
- Students will be in integrated classrooms. One-half of the students will come from English speaking homes and one-half will come from Spanish speaking homes.
- Students receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish
- Students will develop biliteracy; meaning they will be able to speak, comprehend, read and write in two languages.
Why Dual Language?
There are numerous benefits to being in a Dual Language program for both native Spanish speakers and native English speakers.
- Studies show that students who are bilingual score higher on certain components of standardized tests than monolingual students.
- Students are able to achieve a high degree of proficiency in a second language.
- Being bilingual increases future job opportunities
- Such programs can strengthen positive attitudes among students, their families, and communities.
Goals of Dual Language
In order to meet the needs of our students in today's global society, we have outlined these important goals for Bryan's Dual Language Program.
- Students will achieve a high level of academic achievement and literacy skills in both Spanish and English
- To teach respect for one's own language and culture as well as other ethnically diverse groups which reside in our community